Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Can I use steroid cream on a rash around my new tattoo?

I got a wonderful new tattoo 5 days ago, and it is healing nicely with one exception. The tattoo itself looks great, is even almost thru the healing process, but I have developed a rash around one side of it- the rash looks similar to a sunburn and is very itchy- but it is not on the actual tattoo at all. I went by the studio, and turns out my artist is on vacation. Another artist in hte same studio suspected it was a reaction to the lubriderm I was using, so I switched to cocoa butter, but this made no difference. I have some steroid cream I have used for poison ivy and various things in the past, and am wondering if I can use this, or if it will harm my new tat. This is my 5th tattoo, no new colors- I know color ingredients vary, but I have never been allergic to anything in my life, and I am pretty sure if it were an ink allergy the actual tattooed area would be having a problem. Thanks for any advise!!|||You could always go to your doctor and get a steroid shot instead. It%26#039;ll work just as well, and you won%26#039;t have to worry about any bad reaction to your tattoo from any topical cream.|||absolutely not.





i suggest A%26amp;D which you can find in the baby section of any store. not to mention the fact that most tattoo shops will suggest that you use that on your tattoo as well.





A%26amp;D will help heal rash, burns and so on so it is a good remedy for both you and your tattoo.|||Hell No!! the best thing to use is Aquaphor it is awesome and speeds the healing. Just make sure you are washing the tat with soap and a very THIN layer of Aquaphor and in about a week you will be good to go..... I have 8 tat%26#039;s currently.|||I wouldn%26#039;t, it could pull the color out.


As far as Lubriderm being the culprit, that is doubtful,.. and evidenced by the fact that there was no change when switching to cocoa butter. (both products should be safe and you should not have any reaction to either)


I would keep it clean with antibacterial soap, clean paper towels, and a light coating of moisturizer (unscented, mild, maybe something for babies, but not a petroleum product)


You are past the worst of the fresh healing part, if you can tough it out until closer to 2 weeks, I think your tat will be o.k., and then you can use something for the rash if you still have it.


Use ice, and Ibuprophen and/or benedril. Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment