Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Steroid cream stunt growth??!?

First of all, I am a 15 year old boy.


My mom purchased a steroid cream or lotion last year for me to use, to thin a very small portion of swollen skin. I only applied it on my arm 2 or 3 times.


I know how harmful anabolic injected steroids can be to a teen%26#039;s height... but does steroid cream have such effects? What if used in rare occasions like I did?|||The steroid cream was most likely cortisone or something similar, which is a different hormone %26amp; has different functions compared to an anabolic steroid. All steroids- estradiol (estrogen), progesterone, testosterone, cortisol, etc.- are basically made from a cholesterol (hence the %26quot;ster%26quot; in the word %26quot;steroid%26quot;) molecule. In short, hormones like testosterone %26amp; estrogen contribute to closing bone plates, so anything that significantly alters these hormones *for a prolonged period during puberty* could potentially close bone plates prematurely %26amp; stunt growth. A few sources mention cortisone causing stunted growth in small children, but I doubt using cortisone lotion 2-3 times in a year would stunt growth. The dose (%26amp; its result) is not comparable to prescription strength hydrocortisone (which is weaker than synthetic versions of cortisol like dexamethasone).|||You%26#039;re confused? I%26#039;m confused because you have already asked this question %26amp; received conflicting reports - so - why are you asking again?|||if your mom was able to buy it its a different steroid don%26#039;t worry|||yea its not a steroid for working out. do you have a skin problem or something?

No comments:

Post a Comment