Tuesday, December 15, 2009

4 month old eczema returning with use of steroid cream?

Long story short, my 4 month old had a severe breakout of eczema, all over her torso and the rest of her (including head.)


After many trials of aveeno creams, vanicream, aquaphor, cetaphil, etc (moisturizing 4 + times a day) and less baths, changing detergent, mom is on elimination diet....


I was prescribed a .02% steroid cream for her to apply 2 times a day up to 7-10 days. I used it for four days and her skin was nearly almost clear as day. I then cut down after day 4, to only applying once a day. Two days later now, she has red appearing on the eczema spots again as if it%26#039;s starting to flare. I dont%26#039; want to keep using the cream but was I supposed to use it the entire 7 days? The pharmacist said just to use it until her rash clears which I did... but now she%26#039;s starting to spot again and I DO NOT want it to get to the point where it was a week ago.





I%26#039;m not sure if its%26#039; because i stopped the cream to only once a day or if it%26#039;s because I picked %26quot;corn%26quot; as the food to re-introduce into my diet after the elimination trial I have been on (no soy, dairy, nuts, corn, egg, wheat, etc.)|||I%26#039;m a holistic nutritionist, not a doctor (therefore no diagnosing or treating) but because you are asking at least partly a nutrition question . . .I%26#039;ll jump in here! Corn is one of the most allergenic foods and can be quite problematic with skin issues, particularly eczema. I would suggest eliminating it again and seeing if things clear up (and maybe leaving it and soy and diary out for a longer period of time).





You may want to talk to the pharmacist to clear up any misunderstanding re: the cream you are using as well.





As well, if you are using other products on your baby%26#039;s skin, some of those products may be making things worse. If they have synthetic chemicals (i.e. parabens), the ingredients can provoke a response in the skin or make the skin drier. You may want to check EWG%26#039;s Skin Deep Data Base and check out any products you are using on their rating system to see if maybe switching to a natural or certified organic product for baby%26#039;s sensitive/dry skin might help (I like Miessence%26#039;s Mother and Baby Range).





Finally, eczema is often at least partially a response to an essential fatty acid deficiency. Be sure you are getting enough omega 3 (i.e. salmon, flax or cod liver) and healthy omega 6 oils (i.e. evening primrose) each day (you can even poke open capsules of each and rub them on your baby%26#039;s skin.





Good luck and be persistent. Eczema can be a pain to deal with but sounds like you are determined to do what it takes. Good job!|||What kind of laundry detergent do you use? It might not be caused by anything you eat, but by the detergent you use on her clothes. Try something that is labeled %26quot;free and clear%26quot; of fragrances and dyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment