Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Worst case poison ivy, Prednisone, steroid shot & topical steroid cream - is the cure worse than the problem?

I%26#039;m 45 and this was my worst case of poison ivy. I had an extra pack of the 5-day pills and started taking them when I got home from the exposure. A week later, it was horrible, oozing, major blisters all over my legs and arms, a little on my face. Finally went to the doctor on 7th, she was sympathetic, gave me a shot, a 12-day step-down of Prednisone - 6 for 2 days, 5 for 2 days, 4 for 2 days, 3/2/1, along with the topical steroid to apply to the wounds. After a few days I had my second menstral cycle of this month :-( Then extreme joint pain in my left ankle one night. Last night I woke up at 3:30 in extreme pain, had to get up and almost couldn%26#039;t carry my weight on that leg, ankle and knee joint pain. I have 2 days left at 1 pill each day. I am reading all of these negative things and wonder if it would have been better to suffer the poison ivy !! I should finish the last 2 days, right? And will the joint pain stop waking me? Can I take Benadryl safely to sleep?|||You can absolutely take the Benadryl. It%26#039;ll actually help with the histamine reaction from the poison ivy. And you most certainly want to wash your hands every time you touch your body because that%26#039;s probably how the poison ivy spread so crazy. Also you might want to use Caladryl lotion (half calamine, half benadryl) on it. Witch hazel may help dry out and crust over the poison ivy too. You can also try bathing in Aveeno oatmeal baths. When I had poison Ivy as a kid, I remember those baths feeling so good on my skin. I hope you feel better soon and the side effects of the prednisone will be over soon. It%26#039;s best to wean completely off them than to stop abruptly.|||I would think it would be safe to take the Benadryl. I would call your doctor though asap. You may be having a reaction to the prednisone. I don%26#039;t think you should be feeling joint pain with poison ivy. There is something definatly wrong there. Good Luck and please dont wait. Maybe go to ER. Don%26#039;t take a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment